Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Transfer news! And Grandma Jan's Baptism: 8/17/15

Sister Golding is staying Hot Springs but I actually get a companion! My companion will be Sister Haight. She is a temple square sister on her second transfer in the field.

This week has been amazing and awesome. Thank you for the chance to serve with Sister Grandy and Underly. They are amazing.
Grandma Jan got baptized yesterday. The spirit was so amazing. It really is never too late to embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ! I love the gospel and I know this church is true. Have a great week.


What is the best that lies within us? Of how much are we capable? None of us yet knows... An old Arabic legend tells of a rider finding a spindly sparrow lying on its back in the middle of the road. He dismounted and asked the sparrow why his feet where in the air.
Replied the sparrow, “I heard the heavens were going to fall today.”
“And I suppose you think your puny bird legs can hold up the whole universe?” laughed the horseman.
“Perhaps not,” said the sparrow with conviction, “but one does whatever one can.”
This week has been too fast but also amazing and great. The greatest part Was Grandma Jan's baptism! The spirit there was so sweet and amazing. I cannot believe this day has come. She has lived with Brother and Sister Thornton for years and when we first started teaching her she would look at us and say "You can't teach old dogs new tricks!". Well, as it turns out, it is never too late to embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ. Her GREAT grandchildren gave the prayers as well as as the talk on baptism. It was too cute. I love her just so much. It made my life to see it all.

So transfers have been announced. Sister Grandy is finishing out and headed back to AZ. Sister Underly is getting a sister from Ely. And Sister Golding? I'm getting a Temple Square sister. She is on her second and last transfer in the field and should be heading back to Temple Square at the end of this transfer. I went on exchanges with her for a few hours when Sister Ash went through the temple before going home, so it should be good :)


A story has really touched me this week. It is in a BYU devotional by Elder Jeffery R Holland He says,

"What is the best that lies within us? Of how much are we capable? None of us yet knows... An old Arabic legend tells of a rider finding a spindly sparrow lying on its back in the middle of the road. He dismounted and asked the sparrow why his feet where in the air.
Replied the sparrow, “I heard the heavens were going to fall today.”
“And I suppose you think your puny bird legs can hold up the whole universe?” laughed the horseman.
“Perhaps not,” said the sparrow with conviction, “but one does whatever one can.”
This short tale has given me a lot of courage this past week. I can just picture the puny little legs of the sparrow and his desire to take on the world. Perhaps we won't change the world. Maybe my contribution is small. But not matter what we have to face, we have to keep going. We have to keep trying. On talking about the Pioneers, Brad Wilcox said, "The task ahead of them was never as great as the power behind them". I know that when we have God on our side, when we have grace--the enabling power of the Atonement, the task in front of us will NEVER be as great as the power behind us.

Love you all and have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment