Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Are you religious? No. I'm Christian: 8/8/15

Okay. This week has been strange and all over (with one of us getting sick, the sisters needing to go to reno and going on splits, and just days where things went crazy). So many funny things.

*This guy passes us in a motel trying to contact another lady and mumbles
"Galatians 6:5"
"OH cool. What's that one?"
"I have no need to answer any man because I have applied the blood of Christ and have no need to do anything more" (Actual Scripture: "For every man shall bear his own burden." So close)
"Nice. So are you very religious?"
"NO. I'm CHRISTIAN."
Then he walks away. We all look at each other in silence for a few seconds and I finally say "So... It that his name? Hi Christian. I'm Sister Golding!"

*We walked into the WRONG house for dinner and spend 15 minutes talking to this lady thinking they just forgot she was feeding us dinner.

*A random car drives past and stops a little too early for it to be at the stop sign and then reverses up to our car. Sister Underly somewhat scared yells 
"We're gonna get SHOT!" 
"Roll down the window! What if they want to be baptized!"
So we roll down the window. Most random conversation ever. Then they see the bages and tell us where there house is and to come visit anytime and drive off. So crazy! When does that happen?

On a More spiritual note.

I've been thinking a lot about the miracle of Christ calming the storm (Mark 4). I would see videos of this account and wonder why the disciples were SO worried. But then I thought of the story from the point of view of one of the disicples. The waves "beat into the ship" so much that it was "now full". The water had filled the boat so much that it was filled to it's maximum capacity. Death was imminent. Then they turned to the Savior and there he was "asleep on a pillow". What they must have felt was complete abandonment. They asked, "Master, carest thou not that we perish?" Do I matter so little to you that you can sleep while I am fighting for my life? I feel like I and many people have been in that boat. I remember times where I was drowning in trials and sorrows and the heavens seemed closed. I would pray in my own way "Master, carest thou not that I perish". You have all power, can't you take this away? But he always, in his own time, says "Peace be still". He let's the boat get full but he will never let us drown.  Then comes the rebuke.

"Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?"

Which reminds me of a similar rebuke I use to think was very harsh. When Peter walks on water and falls into the water after seeing the winds and waves.

"O thou of little faith"

Didn't they face death? Didn't he just WALK ON WATER? Didn't they desert everything they own to follow the Savior" As I thought I came to realization that perhaps the rebuke wasn't towards their faith in whole. But they were rebuked because they feared. Just as cold is the absence of heat. Just as darkness is the absence of light. Fear is the absence of faith. All of our fears can be overcome through faith.

Not once does the Lord say fear, worry, be anxious. He always says "Peace, be still" "Be strong and of a good courage. Be not afraid. Neither be thou dismayed for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest" "Doubt not, Fear not." Faith is truly the antidote to fear. He tells his disciples, "if you turn to me, you have no need to fear."

Sorry this is a long email. I love you all and hope you have a great week!




Another funny moment...
* We talked to these VERY VERY intoxicated people. the drunk guy mumbles "This morning, this is so weird, but this morning I was just singing 'Mary did you know' do you know that song? Now you guys are here." Then he starts singing and I start singing along and he FREAKS out and starts slapping his buddy. "SPARKY! SPARK! I was singing this song this morning and. this is so weird. She just started singing! OUT OF NOWHERE!" Then he sang the first line and made a motion to me "SING IT! SING IT!" then he put his arms in the air and swayed as I sang. Yep. Pretty fun.
* Then a man walked down the stairs and Mary Did You Know guy yells out "TONY! TONY! Come over here for a second. You need to shake hands with this lady. Tony shakes my hand and walks away. We pass Tony on the way back to the car and say "Hey! It's Tony right?" "No, it's Bob." "I thought... you were Tony" "HE doesn't know me! He has no clue what he is saying!"

No comments:

Post a Comment