Monday, July 28, 2014

I Don't Have a Title But Being a Girl Sucks: 7/28/14

This week I was sick. I threw up a few times from the pain of cramps. Since it wasn't something anyone could catch, I went out and worked like normal. So that happened. Then Wednesday came along and we got off our bikes and were talking with a family we had been working with. Then the world started to move and I saw black dots and...It wasn't good. For the rest of the day I couldn't stand without feeling like I was on a boat. I talked to our mission nurse. She said it was either dehydration or malnutrition from the throwing up. Luckily, after four big things of Gatorade and protein bars I am back to normal now! Yay!

I was thinking. Crap. We didn't do anything this week. Then I started filling out the progress record. It was crazy! We actually did a lot! Here's my favorite story from this week:

I was finishing up reading 2 Nephi. Then I got to the point where He's dying. That is always a sad moment. He's is one of my favorite prophets to read about. He's so courageous and yet so incredibly loving. You can tell how much he cares about the people. Then I read 2 Nephi 32:7 and I just had to laugh

And now I, Nephi, cannot say more; the Spirit stoppeth mine utterance, and I am left to mourn because of the unbelief, and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, even as plain as word can be.

Amen Nephi! Amen! That's most common and frustrating thing we run up against is just plain old apathy. It's much easier for people not to care, so they don't. And I realized, even  NEPHI could get frustrated and discouraged! Then I continued reading. He talks a lot about using the Spirit and continuing to help the people. And I realized, I want to be like Nephi. I want everything I do in my service to others to be guided by the spirit. So, when we got to a point in the day when all our plans fell through and it was time to pick a back up. I said, "Let's pray about it!"

You always hear these stories of missionaries who pray for what to do, both companions have the same prompting before even speaking, they follow the prompting, and a absolute miracle happens. I've experienced that already. Well, you could imagine our disappointment when we have completely different answers. Not only that, we felt very strongly about our two different answers. Awkward. Well, we tried my idea first because it was the closest. We headed down Cottonwood to meet the F. family. They weren't home. I felt like a fool. Then we headed down to where Sister Anderson thought we should go. On the corner of the two streets, we saw a lady on the street. I used the "Hi, how are you today!" approach (If they are answer more than silence or a cold hello back, we stop and talk for a bit). She replied "I'm doing great, how are you today!". Of course we stopped. She sees our tags and she says "LDS MIssionaries! Finally. I've been hoping to see you today." It was as if she had been sitting on the corner just waiting for us to arrive. She is a homeless lady. We helped her this week to get to a homeless shelter. Mostly, we helped her by just talking. She begged us for a Book of Mormon and cried because she had lost hers and was wanting a new one. It was a neat neat experience and we wouldn't have been there if we weren't on our way from the two different locations. It's amazing how the Lord puts us at the right place at the right time.

It's been a good week (minus being sick). I hope everyone else had a good week as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment